I just finished reading a book about parenting but in it the psychologist writes about how psychology has totally screwed up our view of parenting. For example, have you noticed that 'kids these days' are very entitled? They have little manners or respect for people? Here are some things I am thinking through because of this book:
Are my children Respectful, Responsible, and Resourceful? Think about that...resourceful...Casey and I came away saying, "yeah right"-why? What did we do that causes our kids to be incapable of 'figuring it out'?
Am I a 'far-sighted' parent? Am I parenting in a way that has the vision of what my kids will be when they are thirty-not just that they stop doing whatever it is they are doing or worse just be successful at something.
That I CANNOT talk my children into behaving properly.
That when my grandma disciplined her kids she was trying to hurt their feelings because when we feel bad we change our behavior or at least consider that we might have been in the wrong.
This is one of my favorite things: our kids need to learn to (according to grandma) "fight their own battles-lie in their own beds-paddle their own canoes-stew in their own juices"! Oh the implications of those lessons.
Anyway, I just thought I would share some of the things I am thinking about when it comes to my kids and making them into the adults that help society not make it worse. I really don't want my kids to be among the people who come into adulthood and can't think for themselves or do for themselves or believe that everyone owes them whatever it is they want. Yikes! I think we really need more people with the opposite of those things. I hope that with God's grace I can make that happen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment