Sunday, September 4, 2011

School

So, we have started school this week. We are just easing our way in. We are just doing some or maybe even half to start with. I'm not sure how we are going to do it all, actually. I am not overwhelmed but I am learning that I really need the grace of God. I can't do this without it. It is reallly hard to manage 4 kids and teach 2 of them-officially. So, as we try our best at this thing called homeschooling and keep reshaping and redefining what it means; we press on. We are just grateful that we live in a place where we can do this and that I don't have anybody telling me what to do or checking in on me. It would be really hard for me to have someone 'over me' all the time. I don't handle that very well. Is that called rebellion? Anywho... We are studying swimming creatures this year in science which both the kids are psyched about. I am glad to NOT be studying flying creatures any more. Daisy wants to study American Indians and I thought, what the heck. So, we are starting with Pocahontas. Everything else is pretty basic; math, writing, and reading. I am always feeling like I am missing something but I think all moms feel this way. I just have high standards for myself and for my kids and sometimes I have to remember that it all doesn't have to be learned TODAY. That is where the grace comes in I guess. Some days my life just seems so mundane and then other days it just feels like such an unbelievably high calling, I panic. How is that possible? That struggle between 'not again' and 'holy crap what if I totally screw this up'? I saw the movie The Help last week and it is really good. You should see it. But the white women were so self-righteous. But there I was in the midst of them...I'm not talking about being racist...just really prideful sometimes. Concerned with what other people might think of me or how it appears on the outside. AGH. I hate that. We took some 'school' photos...Hank is a little blurry but I just wanted to show you all how strong my little babe is!

1 comment: