Monday, September 26, 2011

Hello October...almost


I can't believe it! October already! I have been thinking about Christmas even...mostly because Jack has asked when it is going to snow. Which is a little frustrating considering it was about 85 degrees on Saturday. Whatev.

I do love the smell of fall. The crisp air of fall. I DO hate the winter. But I am going to look ahead to (hopefully) a visit from my brother at the holidays and then farther ahead to spring! I am rethinking my garden totally. Well, not totally. I have been reading this book called Year of Plenty and am wondering what spaces of my yard I could use for garden not grass or some other lovely yet not really useful plant. Currently I have my raised garden bed in a great spot. I have a spot picked out for sugar snap peas and raspberries (that I now know chickens enjoy). So I will be putting up some chicken wire around those next year and maybe look at expanding the beds around them to grow other things. Like lettuce or pumpkins or squash or some other fairly easy yet relatively nice looking fruit or vegtable. Anyway, I just didn't get all the stuff I wanted out of my garden this year...the weather didn't help. But as I have been reading this book I have been thinking about the value of gardening in life, not just for me but for my kids. They love to pick things and watch them grow. I guess the next step will be to learn how to can and things of that nature. I am good and freezing things, canning...not so much. But we'll see.

Casey and I also celebrated ten years of marriage this month. For which I received a beautiful necklace with 2 charms on it that have my kids names! Also, the cross he got me for a wedding gift that hasn't had a chain since Jack busted it when he was 1. So, I am loving that and thinking about all the things that have transpired in 10 years. Well, the obvious and first thing we endured was traveling home from our honeymoon post-9/11! Also, we have both lost grandmas and grandpas. My mom. We adopted one and had 3 children. Bought one house. Casey has had 4 different jobs-including being an artist! We have traveled some...not as much as I would like. We have definitly changed the way we see the world. I think for me each child has brought change for me. My view cannot stay the same because I feel like having a child just causes you to see the world through a whole new scope. We are still fighting the fight and running the race together and I am more grateful for him today than I was when I married him.

1 comment: